Our Local 829 has supported the following:
- Donated $500 to Jody Selwood and family. Jody is an EA who works in the Medicine Hat Public School District, whose family lost their home in a fire in September 2020.
- Donated scholarship money to Crescent Heights High School, Medicine Hat High School, Alexandra Middle School and to McCoy High School.
The CUPE Bring a Child a Smile Campaign was started in 2013 as a way to help raise awareness of CUPE and Local 829 in our community. The idea was to promote positive interactions within Medicine Hat and Redcliff that directly affected the children we work with each day.
Since the beginning of this campaign, our Local 829 has:
- Donated funds to purchase new CSA approved ice skating helmets to donate to every elementary school in Medicine Hat and Redcliff.
- Donated funds to sharpen school owned ice skates in Medicine Hat and Redcliff.
- Organized, collected, and delivered over 2000 pairs of pyjamas to the Medicine Hat Women’s Shelter.
- Donated funds to the Medicine Hat and District Food Bank’s Brown Bag Lunch program.
- Donated funds to the Teen Kitchen, a program which gives students in Grades 7-9 in the Medicine Hat School District a safe place to learn cooking skills. The impact this program has made, makes it such a heart warming and worthwhile cause for our local to support.